Fobissea Senior Games 2010

What was the activity?

This was a two day event which took place at our school during a weekend in February. Schools from all around South East Asia came together to compete in both basketball and football. Personally I only participated on the first day as that was when the senior girls’ basketball team had all of their matches.

Silver Medalists!

What were my aims?

1. To raise my heart beat and break into a sweat to know I pushed myself physically.

2. To be a risk-taker by attempting some shots and potentially getting a few points on the scoreboard for my team.

3. To be caring by offering to take the place on court of any of my team members who feel they need a rest.

4. To keep up the team spirit.

The Regent's School sports teams

What did I do?

The games began at 10.00 am on Saturday morning and went on till 15.00 pm. Due to the lack of time, not all the teams were able to verse each other but of our many matches we only lost one thus ended up coming second place! We were all really proud as we performed much better than expected and felt we truly deserved our silver medals. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to shoot any baskets but I was able to act as a good defender by preventing some shots from the opposing team which made up for it. I did however manage to meet my other aims. In terms of keeping up the team spirit I shouted out supportive words such as “Nice shot!” or along with my other teammates. Also I definitely began sweating and raised my heartbeat whilst playing which gave me a great sense of achievement.

All the participants prior to the matches

Did I encounter any problems along the way?

The main problem we encountered along the way was that a couple of the players on the opposing teams didn’t have very good sportsmanship when the game wasn’t going their way. They even went so far as to shout offensive remarks to the people on the opposing teams. To deal with the situation we decided to just focus on playing good basketball and ignore the inappropriate behavior.

Second place medalists!

What did I achieve?

I thought the senior games were really exciting and this is definitely an activity I want to partake in again next year. I learnt that the most important thing when playing sports is to have a positive attitude and to support your team members. Overall I was a risk-taker as I attempted a few shots and was also caring as I sometimes took the place of some of my team members who felt they needed a rest off court.

No comments:

Post a Comment