Jester's Fair

What was the activity?

Jester’s fair is an annual charity event designed to raise funds for various charities in Thailand. Different stalls are set up around the area and each has a different game or activity for people to try out. Being the Service Pillar Leader of the Regents School, I was partly in charge of organizing our school’s stall: the Penalty Shoot Out.

Jesters Care for Kids

What were my aims?

1. Through undertaking this activity I was hoping to become a better communicator by advertising the Regent’s School Penalty Shoot Out stall.

2. Additionally, I wanted to help to create and design the posters which we needed for the stall. Lastly I wanted to become more open-minded and caring through interacting with some of the Jester’s kids.

Can you guess the name of the panda?

What did I do?

I arrived at the Diana Driving Range at 9.00 am and immediately began to set up the stall. A couple of the teachers and boarders had already arrived with all of the equipment we needed. Once everything was set up, we began to decorate the area by making attractive posters to advertise our stall. Throughout most of the day I worked at the Penalty Shoot Out stall and helped out by selling and collecting tickets, taking note of high scores and even going in goal a few times. During my breaks I did my part in the fundraising by participating in some of the other games around the fair.

Two of our students advertising the Penalty Shoot Out

What problems did I encounter along the way?

Upon arriving in the morning we quickly realized that the space which we had been given was about half the size of that which we had last year. Unfortunately this was an issue I had forgotten to double check prior to the event. This meant that we were really pressed for space but we managed to overcome this by removing some unnecessary tables form the area and changing the positioning of the goal post. In addition, about half way through the day we were running short on participants for the penalty shoot. We solved this problem by getting students from our school to walk around the fair with signs to advertise our stall.

My friends and I selling tickets for the Penalty Shoot Out

What did I achieve?

I believe I was an effective communicator since we managed to advertise the stall well. This was reflected in the substantial amount of funds which we managed to raise. Furthermore, I feel I was caring and open-minded as instead of playing games all day at different stalls, I spent much of my free time with the Jester’s kids whom were sitting in the shade of our tent. Lastly, I feel I was principled as I took responsibility for receiving a much smaller space than we had expected (I had forgotten to double check this ahead of time). As a team, we managed to rearrange the equipment in the area and the layout ended up being ideal.

An article from the Pattaya Mail about the event: http://www.pattayamail.com/894/features.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment