Basketball Training and Matches 2010

What was the activity?

Basketball training was held every Monday after school for an hour. I decided to sign up because I’ve always enjoyed playing but haven’t been particularly good at it. Also since being on the volleyball team last term was so much fun I decided I wanted to engage in another sport this term.

The team!

What were my aims?

1. To develop my basketball skills and to simply become an all round better basketball player.

2. To improve on my shooting and learn to do a layup shot.

I attempted a layup shot

What did I do?

During practices we (the senior girls’ team) trained together with the under 15 girls’ team. I don’t think this held us back at all, if anything it helped me push myself to work even harder as a most of the younger girls were really talented players. After a couple training sessions we began competing with the other local schools in the area. Several of the girls on the basketball team had also been on the volleyball team from last term and so most of us were used to competing with these schools before. We quickly realized that as a team we were much better at basketball than we were at volleyball as we managed to win most of our matches. Obviously it’s not all about winning though, the main point was that we all had fun and got to know our team mates better.

Some of my team mates

Were there any problems along the way?

The main difficulty I encountered was to reach my aim of learning how to do a layup shot. It took me a while but with the help of my teammates I managed to learn how to do a proper one. I’m not yet good enough to get the ball in every time I take a shot but at least I have the proper technique. My next aim is to continue practicing my layups and to ensure the ball actually goes through the hoop when I shoot. That way I’ll hopefully be able to use layups during matches and help to get some points on the scoreboard for my team.

Playing against the U15 girls

What have I gained from this experience?

Overall this experience has generally increased my love for basketball and made me want to continue playing. I have also learnt that practice really does make perfect. You can’t just expect to get better at something overnight you have to be prepared to work in order to improve. I am excited to participate in the schools up and coming senior games. By playing basketball I have become more balanced as I now play a sport alongside my academic studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment