Fobissea Senior Games 2011

What was the activity?

Overall this was a two day event in which students from all over South East Asia flew to Thailand to compete in both basketball and football at our school. I was playing for the Regents Senior Girls Basketball team and thus only participated on the Saturday.

Stephany on defense!

What were my aims?

1. To become more of a risk-taker through playing various positions on the court and not just the one I was most comfortable with.

2. To try to score at least one goal as I did not manage to do this during the previous Fobissea tournament.

3. Lastly, I was aiming to be a good team player through putting in action the “cyclical offence” which we’d been practicing during training.

One of our matches

What did I do?

The games started at 10.00 am in the morning on Saturday and finished in the afternoon so we were all really exhausted by the end. We played a total of 5 matches and finished in fourth place. Throughout the tournament we were sometimes missing various players for different reasons and thus I was forced to play some positions which I had never tried before.

We had a barbeque after the games were finished!

What problems did I encounter along the way?

Unfortunately, despite our 100% win record from playing other schools within the nearby area, we did not play particularly well during this tournament. After losing our first match we were all feeling a little down however we decided to keep trying our best and keep the team spirit high. We ended up coming in fourth which was quite pleasing overall considering the number of schools involved.

My team mate Joo Yeong during a match!

What did I achieve?

My biggest achievement throughout the tournament I felt, was that I played for various positions on court and in addition to doing so, I was able to score a couple of shots. I was definitely a risk-taker and feel that this was a huge improvement from last year! I also feel that I was a good team player since I was an active participant in our ‘cyclical offence’ method. I did this by actively running and passing the ball in and out of the key. There were a few times where I accidentally passed the ball to an opposing team member or where I threw it out of bounds. Through accepting and taking responsibility for my actions, I feel I have become more principled.

No comments:

Post a Comment