Basketball Training and Matches 2011

What was the activity?

This activity involved training every Tuesday after school with the Regent’s Senior Girl’s basketball team. Occasionally we had matches against other International schools in the nearby area.

Resting between matches

What were my aims?

1. To become more of a risk taker through attempting more shots and layups during our matches.

2. To develop my communication skills on court as I believe this to be the key to a successful team.

Regent's 65 - ISE 19

What did I do?

Every Tuesday we would meet in the gym after school and start off the training session with a game warm up exercise called ‘suicide’. This includes starting off on the baseline of the court, jogging to the free throw line, running back to the baseline, then to the centre of the court, running back to the baseline again, jogging to the second free throw line and returning to the baseline again. This is repeated several times for a given amount of time. After this we would run through various offence and defense tactics which we could use as a team. Our most successful methods proved to be the cyclical offence and the zone defense.

Setting out the game plan

Were there any problems along the way?

During several of our matches we were short on players for various reasons. As a team player, I would step up to the challenge sometimes had to play various positions on court which I had never experienced before, ‘centre’ for instance.

GIS 16 - Regent's 71

What have I gained from this experience?

Through attempting to play a large variety of positions on court, I feel that I have become more of a risk taker. Additionally, one of my aims was to score more goals during matches which I definitely feel that I did. During matches and practices I aimed to become a better communicator and did this through calling out my team member’s names when I wanted to pass the ball to them or when I was open.

No comments:

Post a Comment